Since drastically changing our diet two years ago, our family has gravitated toward making a few other healthy changes as well. Here is a list of a few of the things we changed.
I do this most mornings (when I remember) when I first get out of bed. Here’s what I do:
- Put a spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth and hold it there or chew it until it gets runny.
- Swish oil for 10 to 20 minutes all around in my mouth, focusing on pulling the oil back and forth through my teeth.
- Spit the oil out in the trash.
People swear that doing this has all sorts of health benefits, but mostly I’ve just noticed that my teeth feel really clean and “slippery”.
- 4 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- 20 drops Essential Oil (I like to use either Peppermint or Lemon)
Mix ingredients together and store in a glass jar.
We love Earthpaste toothpaste (especially the kids) but it is just too expensive so this is a great (cheap!) alternative.
Before bed, I brush and floss my teeth followed by swishing around this super easy homemade mouth wash:
- 1/2 cup of water
- one drop of peppermint essential oil
Just swish and spit!
I’ll admit, I don’t love flossing my teeth but I’m getting better at making myself get into the habit of flossing every night.
I recently had some major dental work done. In college I chipped a molar but we didn’t have dental insurance so I just left it alone. Fast forward 3 years and that same tooth developed a cavity underneath a previous filling. I put off getting it fixed for as long as I could (2 years!). I knew I needed to get it taken care of so I finally went to my dentist. The cavity was pretty deep and due to the chipped away tooth there wasn’t much left to work with so I needed a crown put on. My tooth has been so sensitive and my gums around it have been hurting so I have been putting a drop of Clove or OnGuard essential oils on my finger and rubbing the tooth and gum line. It works like a charm and the pain is gone!