This last week I felt like I was on Iron Chef America and the secret ingredient was peaches. I ordered five 22 lb boxes last Saturday and just about every meal in the past seven days has had peaches in it. We have had peach ice cream, peach smoothies, peach milkshakes, peach cobbler, peach crisp, peach cake, peach salsa, peach syrup,…. It was fun to get creative with peaches, but now I am glad that they have all been pealed, pitted, sliced, and put in the freezer.
I love the taste of raspberry and peach jam, but wasn’t quite sure how to make it without pectin or sugar. I read the recipe in the back of “Breaking the Vicious Cycle” and decided to give it a try. It turned out so good! I have been eating it off of a spoon but it would be great on coconut flour muffins or banana pancakes.
Raspberry and Peach Freezer Jam (SCD)
- 8 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- Dissolve honey into peaches and simmer fruit on low for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until thickened. (I hate raspberry seeds so I kept the peaches and raspberries separate so that I could completely puree the raspberries.)
- Once the fruit has become thick and syrupy, turn off heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Process raspberries (if desired) in blender until smooth then stir it into the peaches.
- Finally, stir 1 Tablespoon of unflavored gelatin (Bernard Jensen brand) into fruit until dissolved. Let cool, pour into containers, and store in refrigerator (2 weeks) or in freezer (not sure how long it will last in there and don’t forget to leave space at the top of the jar for the jam to expand).
I also had some concord grapes that I needed to use up so I followed the same process above but used grapes instead of raspberries. This batch turned out awesome!
Recipe from: “Breaking the Vicious Cycle”